Our History...
The history of the Indian Paratroopers dates back to October 1941 when 50 Indian Parachute Brigade was raised in Delhi. The Paratroopers proved their mettle in Sangshak and Elephant Point during World War II. They were later expanded to form 44 Indian Airborne Division (later 2 Indian Airborne Division), comprising of 50 Indian PARA, 77 Indian PARA and 14 Air Landing Brigades.

In the post independence restructuring, the Indian government only retained one Parachute Brigade, i.e 50 Independent Parachute Brigade. This brigade comprised of three distinguished battalions personally nominated by the then C-in-C, namely 1 PARA (Punjab), 2 PARA (Maratha) and 3 PARA (Kumaon). During J&K operations of 1947-48 these battalions had distinguished themselves with glory in the battles of Shelatang, Naushera, Jhangar and Poonch, wherein they were awarded the respective Battle Honours.
On 15 April 1952, the three battalions serving with the Parachute Brigade were taken away from their respective Infantry Regiments to form the Parachute Regiment. Since then the Parachute Regiment has grown to comprise ten battalions including Parachute (Special Forces) battalions. In that while, 8 PARA became a Mechanised Infantry Battalion, 21 PARA (Special Force) joined us from Maratha LI. During their short but eventful existance so far, battalions of the regiment have had extensive operational experience and singular achievements to speak of their level of professionalism.

In 1971, the Regiment fought numerous actions both in the Eastern and Western Theatres. For the first time in the annals of Independent India's history, a Parachute Battalion Group (2 PARA Bn Group) was paradropped at Tangail, which contributed substantially to speeding up the liberation of Bangladesh. The Parachute Commandos proved their professional skills by conducting spectacular and lightening raids into Chachro (Sindh, Pakistan) and Mandhol (Jammu and Kashmir). The Regiment earned battle honours Poongli Bridge, Chachro and Defence of Poonch during these operations.

Five Parachute battalions (including 3 PARA Commando battalions) took part in Operation Pawan (Sri Lanka). With 6 PARA in the lead 50 (Independent) Parachute Brigade took part in Operation Cactus the first successful overseas intervention operation to aid the duly elected government of Maldives.

Parachute battalions employed in the Counter Insurgency role, both in North East and J&K, have performed commendably, earning eleven COAS Unit Citations. In these operations, the Ashok Chakra, nations highest gallantry award in peace, has been awarded postumously to Capt Arun Jasrotia, SM (1996), Major Sudhir Kumar Walia SM * (2000) and Ptr Sanjog Chhetri (2003). Their unit 9 PARA (SF) has been conferred the "Bravest of the Brave" honour in 2001.

In 1999 nine out of ten Parachute battalions were deployed for OP Vijay in Kargil, which bears testimony to the operational profile of the Regiment. While the Parachute Brigade cleared the Mushkoh Valley intrustions, 5 PARA was actively involved in the forgotten sector Batalik, where it exhibited great courage and tenacity, and was awarded the COAS Unit Citation.

Calls of international peacekeeping have taken Parachute units to Korea (1953-54), Gaza (1956-58) and Sierra Lone (2000). The latter was a daring rescue mission conducted by the 2 PARA (SF) meanfully.

In the field of adventure, amongst many notable achievements we proudly recall the late Capt (later Col Retd) AS Cheema, SM the first Indian atop Mount Everest (1965), Maj SS Shekhawat, SC who scaled the peak thrice (2001,2003 & 2005) and Maj Abhijeet Singh, SM (2003).


The Regimental Centre...

The Parachute Regiment was formed on 15 April 1952 by absorbing the following three erstwhile Parachute Battalions:-

1st Bn The PARA Regiment (PUNJAB)
2nd Bn The PARA Regiment (MARATHA)
3rd Bn The PARA Regiment (KUMAON)

The Parachute Regiment Depot and Records was raised at Agra on 15 April 1952 to coincide with the raising day of the Regiment. All personal documents were transferred to Depot and Records from the PUNJAB,MARATHA and KUMAON Regiments. Simultaneously, a Personal Accounts Office (PAO) for the regiment was raised at Mathura as part of PAO(OR) Artillery.


On 1 May 1962, a training wing of the Parachute Regiment was formed at Kota under the Brigade of the Guards Training Centre and thus started the direct recruitment and training of recruits for the Parachute Regiment.

The regiment started adding more battalions to its strength from 1962-63. About the same time in order to ensure a better intake of recruits into the Regiment, the raising of a Training Centre was agreed and on 13 March 1963, the Govt of India accorded sanction for raising of this Centre.

The executive order for raising the Parachute Regiment Training Centre was recieved on 22 June, 1963. The "Parachute Regiment Depot and Records" designation was changed to "The Parachute Regiment Training Centre". The Centre was located at Agra Fort.

The first batch of recruits from the Rajputana Rifles, Rajput, Sikh and Dogra Regiments started arriving in the Training battalions located at Kheria camp (Agra). On 26th September 1963, the Parachute Regiment training wing at Kota joined the Centre. On 5 February 1965, the Centre moved to Morar Cantonment, Gwalior.


The Centre in addition to doing the normal training of infantry recruits was also responsible for all Parachute Training. For this purpose a Para Holding Wing was established on 1st April, 1966. The Para Holding Wing was responsible for carrying out basic and reservist training for all active and reservist Paratroopers. In War, the Para Holding Wing had the added responsibility of providing transit camp facilities for launching of an Air borne force.

On 5 June 1967 the PAO(OR) The Para Regiment also moved from Mathura to Gwalior. On 2nd October 1975, the Parachute Regiment Training Centre, Records and PAO(OR) moved to Agra.

On 15 January 1977 the erstwhile Para Holding Wing was disbanded and additional staff and vehicles were authorised to the Parachute Regiment Training Centre to carry out all of the above functions of the Parachute Holding Wing. Para Holding Wing continued functioning from Kheria and its old name was retained. The Para Holding Wing thereafter merged with the Army Airborne Training school, Agra on 15 January 1992.

On 15 Januray 1992, the Parachute Regiment Training Centre along with the Records and PAO(OR), the Para Regiment moved to Bangalore and occupied the erstwhile location of Pioneer Corps and Training Centre. Bangalore is the new Key Location Project of the Centre.